Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Morning After

There are still close to 80,000 people without power as we listen to this evening's news. We were among the lucky ones that were only in the dark for 15 hours. This being the third such storm this winter, we are all winter weary. What are the bright spots, because there has to be some, right? I took a call from someone on the cellphone yesterday and confirmed that we were among the 160,000 that had lost power in this latest visit from Old Man Winter. I did admit that I was "forced" to sit in my rocking chair next to a roaring fire and read a thick novel about those testy Boleyn Girls of the frisky King Henry era, Oh my.

Hmmm, yes I had to go out and shovel, and yes I had to tote a couple of loads of wood in; but all in all - I'm no worse for the wear. To be honest, we had the generator as our backup so we didn't suffer by any means. But then, the power came on shortly after 6:00 p.m. and we were able to get back to life as we know it. Truth be told, I had pulled out the lanterns (or lant-ins as they say in Maine) and had candles strategically placed, had the mancala board ready for a night of games, and was just a little sad when the power came back on. We went back to the TV shows, the computer that was calling me, and all of the other distractions that keep us preoccupied.

I'll will tell you, that waking up to such a beautiful morning view makes it hard to remember how crabby I was as I was filling the wood totes while braving 40+ MPH winds. The picture at the top of this article was taken from our front room, facing the water (ice). I will leave you with the thought that no matter how unhappy you may be in a particular situation, if you'll take an attitude adjustment moment (maybe I'm reminding myself), you may be pleasantly surprised at the outcome. Another storm on its way for the weekend - wohoo!

P.S. Hurry Spring!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. But, the roaring fire in the big stone fireplace, the rocker, and the book sound awesome. Maybe a cuppa tea and classical music...yes I see it now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weird isn't it when the power comes back on, and after the initial cheer, there is a bit of disappointment that life has to resume it's normal routine. As I write this from Ontario, we are expecting more snow, a few days of warmer temps, then back to the freezer! Nice to read about a Maine cottage.

    ReplyDelete