Monday, January 12, 2009

Eagles Soaring

About six weeks ago, I saw a pair of Bald Eagles in a tree about 30 feet from where I was standing on our back yard. I couldn't have been more excited so of course immediately went in and retrieved my camera. The excitement seeped into my photography skillset and the images were less than award winning - however they did capture the moment.

After this they both took to the air and flew out over the water calling to one another in Eagle speak, probably saying something like "The tree over there has a clearer view of possible fish jumping." The water had yet to freeze and I recall asking my husband what they do once it has iced over. He reminded me that rodents are on their delicacy list too, so perhaps that tides them over.

We didn't factor in that they are a very resourceful bird as was proven yesterday as the daylight hours were waning. The Ice Fishermen (and women) had all packed up and headed home, so all was quiet on the pond. I had just come in from shoveling and was taking a break, sitting on the sofa near the window; looking out onto the pond. And what to my wondering eyes did appear, but a Bald Eagle swooped down from a nearby tree to check all of the fishing holes. He first went left and then doubled back with a lovely show with the last rays of sun shining though his white tail feathers, much to my delight. He methodically went from shanty to shanty and hole to hole to check for cast off fish. Brilliant! Who knew that they were so clever? To realize man's wastefulness of those little fish that are discarded onto the ice would turn into a feast for the Bald Eagle, was enlightening. Obviously I didn't get the memo, but he had!

A few minutes later my husband came into the room and I was telling him about what I had just seen, and there he was again, making another fly by; just to make sure he hadn't missed anything. This time he was in view for even longer so we both just basked in our fortune to be lucky enough to be right there at that very moment to see something so majestic.

I would have to guess that little sign we have hanging by the back door must have been coined after a moment like this: "If you're lucky enough to be on the lake, you're lucky enough."

'till next time,
MJ
Classic Cottage Living (website coming soon)

Join me on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment